Thursday 23 July 2015

Cute Drawstring Bag


 Bail Me Out - All Time Low ♫ 

Hey everyone!

How are we? 

I thought I would post up the progress with the bags that I we're making a couple of days ago, I manage to cut up a lot of material for it, the same material that I will tell you the story about. I was going to do the lining, but I got mixed up between two patterns and had to learn all over again how to use a sewing machine - but my mum helped me, which was nice cause I don't get to spend much time with her, so it was lovely :) 

I quickly remembered and learnt again how to use a sewing machine, not used one since I left school...5 years ago ;) 



So here's the drawstring bag that I started a couple of days ago, I sadly forgot to put the lining in (The bright pink flowery material) this happened because I was reading one pattern online, then went back to it the next day and it was a different pattern but by the same person, I just didn't look hard enough. 


I don't think I did too bag for my first attempt at making a bag, I love it so much and can't wait to get making some more of them - Basically making project bags, as I have quite a few projects to do this year! It's going to be a busy one, as well as keeping up on the other blogs, new job and college, but I promise I will update as often as possible!


There's a nice bit of room in the bag though. The bag so far holds; three balls of wool, a mini sewing kit and my crocheting hooks and back for them. The wool and everything are still in a carrier bag. simply because the material is old and a bit "fusty" so it needs to be washed. 

The material was my Nan's that she bought years ago but never used, she recently passed away after battling with Dementia for around 4 years. I miss her terribly and think that putting this material to use as well as her sewing machine is what she would of wanted and she would of been happy and proud that I am now learning. I knew that she used to be a seamstress, but recently learnt she used to be one within House Of Fraser before it changed all those years ago. 

My Nan used to always knit my jumpers and cardigans and I still have them from all those years ago, she then taught my mum and auntie when they we're young and I have slowly learnt over the years how to make things as well, I taught myself how to crochet, my Nan could - but by the time I wished to learn it was too late with her Dementia. Through my Mum and Nan, I learnt how to Sew, draw, colour, bake and overall just to be creative and I am so thankful for what they have taught me over the years. 

I miss my Nan so much, but when I make these bags out of the material she had, I can't help but feel that a bit of her is with me :) xx 


So here it is! The finished bag! Mum helped me as well as this lovely blog post...
Love Me Sew's - Drawstring bag Pattern

The original sizes for the material was 14.5 inches x 11 inches, though I decided this would be too small for a blanket project and decided to up the sizes to 16 inches x 14 inches. Which made the bag perfect, I had enough room for what needed to go in it and there was also extra room for the 1cm seem allowance all the way around the bag. 

I was going to use some different material for the drawstring, but found some lovely lilac ribbon instead, which I find looks a lot nicer and the colours are lovely together. The material in white and like a sea green pinstriped bag, which gives it the feel of  a large paper sweet bag :) Which I love so much. 

If you wish to make one of these yourself head on over to the link above and give it ago. If you wish to make it a little bigger, I will post the tutorial later at some point with the changes that I made to the original pattern. All credit goes to Love Me Sew, as well my mum ;) <3

Hope you enjoyed this post, have you seen what I have done with the blog? It looks more homey, which I just adore! 

Stay tuned & Much love

x x x

No comments:

Post a Comment